Sunday, April 27, 2008

Everyone's getting busy with exams, practicals, internal assessments, bullying children into submission of records, revaluations, farewells and studies. It is as if the summer heat is catching up in academic work also. Salem is unbearably hot. I wish there were juice dispensers instead of water in the departments. And, oh, the external examiners for English Communication Skills Lab for the third years were taken aback by the seminar halls in the departments. The swanky furniture and air-conditioned halls really hit them hard. Tee..hee.. A strange silence has already fallen upon the corridors...senior students have taken seriously to their studies...the theory exams begin on May 3rd. Only the first years have their classes and they are a noisy lot..they are.
A student was remarking the other day that farewells give you a hard knock since you realise that your happy and carefree days are drawing to a close. They are well aware that hard and harsh realities of life await them. WIPRO has given the recruits CDs to prepare for the entry examination which has to be cleared by the recruits in order to be absorbed or confirmed. I understand their feelings. The days of pure living-for-oneself and friends will come to a gradual close and they will slowly become used to carving professional careers for themselves. I pray that our children go out into this world armed with intelligence and values.

1 comment:

துபாய் நாகராஜன் said...

Hi Madam,

Lines are bringing out the reality of life. I could share my feelings of parting from the class mates. I didn't feel too much when I parted in the school finals. I did not feel so much when I parted from my first ever college course of Pre University at Krishnagiri. May be I had a little feeling that I would be missing those beautiful college girls and class mate girls. But I could feel the pain of parting off the five year relationship in GCE Salem on the day of farewell. Everybody cried, everybody felt and everybody took a note of meeting again in the shortest period. In less than one year, almost everyone got a job. Three or four classmates married immediately or urgently. So, rest of the classmates met in the marriages. Slowly the number of attendees to the marriages, started diminishing. After 3 to 4 years of time, the attendees were the bearest minimum. I got married in 1990, after seven years of college ending. Surprisingly, I have had only one attendee, although I have sent out invitations to all whose addresses were known to me. Later after that I could see only those who are at my reach or appoach. The numbers shrunk to 2-3. Life calls for more difficult tasks and the life calls for more attention to family and children, leaving the friendship behind with least priority. Suddenly after 20 years of college ending, every one starts thinking of meeting in a common place, say the Alumni meeting at GCE Salem. Still the turnout is less than 25 per year-batchmates. The oldest batch is represented by only one or two and the maximum is the latest outgoing batch. Person like me who settled down away from home land, seeing a classmate is worth 3 large drinks. But that stays for that moment. Next time when the friend calls, the immidiate answer is 'I am on another line or I am in a meeting and I will call you later'. The return of call is invariably not the immediate thing. It is delayed to 1-15 days or so. We end up later forming alumni association, wherever we are located and enjoy week end party food or discuss about the available courses in Anna University for the kith and kins.

In the whole process, I have lost those harmoneous life of 5 years of togetherness and the affection of my own classmate, who was willing to give his life when I was insulted by a bus driver or Karuppur Theatre Owner or another outsider?

I have lost that relationship. So becomes the priority for life, rest of all, other than friends.

There is no poetic ending for friendship. It ought to remain how it started but passes away like a passing cloud. We are in a dynamic world of survival of the fittest. We ignore many things and try to make the printed papers notes adn bank savings.

Life in this world is only for those who do not think back the past and the friendship.....

This is a very hard reality or a big pill to swollow..

Thanks Madam, your words have provoked my feelings.

Regards

B.Nagarajan MS Engg (PhD)
1978-83 Electrical Engg
Chief Operating Officer
Lloyd Power Systsems LLC
PO Box 33962 Dubai
UAE Email: LPS@EiM.AE

Please visit my Poetry pages at
http://NaadodiTamil.BlogSpot.Com