Saturday, July 18, 2009

The NCC State Camp for kids was organised and we had about 400 kids from all over the state gathered here. On Friday, I was asked to talk to them about Child labour. It was refreshing to see the hope of young minds shining through their eyes. It was a ppt and with the pictures I amnaged to keep most nodding their heads ( was it in sleep or was it in agreement?) It was a little difficult, as I had do the Code-switching trick and the 'tholilalargal' ( I had to say this word throughout the talk) kept tripping on my tongue. But I think, I managed to convince them about the need to do something in their own small way.

2 comments:

Udayaprakash said...

“Hello ma'am, 'child labour' problem will definitely be eradicated very soon because lot of awareness programmes and laws are taking keen interest in it. But the problem of caste discrimination is not at all taken care by the govt. So I request you to take a ppt on how it affects the society and its effects to the newer generations.” – up.

Chitra Lakshimi said...

Dear UdhayaPrakash, I really do appreciate your concern for a just and equitable society. The issue requires mutli-pronged strategies for a good solution. The government and the individual, more than the government and the caste based organisations, need to open up and understand that organisations can't thrive if individuals like you and me take a personal stand against discrimination. But then, we have all kinds of individuals in a society; just as you and I have a right to say something, others have a right too.The only way is to bring about a revolution in each household and to silence these raucous voices is by exercising the right to vote. That is the best and most effective way to show your solidarity with the oppressed and the victims. Deny politicians with a caste slant their places in the parliament. Show them the door. After all, the power of the human mind to comprehend what is right and what is wrong is always there. Let us not underestimate our potential, in whatever small way, to ensure a happy and harmonious world to live in.