Monday, December 03, 2007

Exams are on and the first year kids are getting a little jumpy and nervous. My class rep, Hari is falling sick more often and has lost his smile. He looks grumpy and annoyed most of the time...must be the books that he is catching up with. :)
My class co-rep, Krithika is immensely talented and has done such fantastic posters for the Creative Assignments. I am sure that this child has her talents in the world of design and advertisemnts. God bless her.
I too am losing sleep over the impending doctoral committee meeting this week to fix the date for my viva. Am catching up with the Harry Potter books once again. It is really surprising how these books still hold my interest even after reading so many times. I feel it may be because an adult reader is constantly looking for new truths to emerge from these readings. Why cannot reading books be made a compulsory term assignment for all the engineering students?
Ever since newspapers were made mandatory at the hostel, I find students are indeed showing improvement, as one of my Civil Engg, students Raja confessed. He admitted that reading the Deccan Chronicle and the Indian Express has made him speak more confidently.

4 comments:

Anand said...

Hi..

I am Anand Ramasubbu ( Class of 1995, Mechanical Engg. , GCE Salem). I just chanced upon your blog and had a whale of a time reading through it. Just want to let you know that the window that your blog provides to the goings on in my alma mater stirs up pleasant memories and helps me feel close to home. Please do keep up the good work.

Regards
Anand

Anonymous said...

I appreciate your efforts in helping the students of Engineering to work on their soft skills. This is one of the important requirements of the industry and we need to help our students in this aspect. You would be interested in knowing a simiar efforts in Anna University sometime back. A whole batch of Engineering students were provided soft skills training by an HR consultant and it helped increase the placement rate dramatically - almost as high as 80%. I do not know if there are any articles written about it, just wanted to share with you.

Keep up the good work!

Chitra Lakshimi said...

Anand and Singaravelan, thank u both for the happy comments.
I agree Anand, it is good to know what is going on at the place where we spent four formative years - personally and professionally formative. I am happy to be of service. It is a pleasure actually.
Singaravelan, I share your views. We understand the importance of softskills for our students. I mean, one needs them for survival and growth professionally. They can make a lot of difference actually to the lives of so many of our students.

Anonymous said...

I would appreciate if you can also write about Alumni activities at GCE. It would help us to know how we - the ex GCEians can connect to the Alumni network and provide help to the present GCE students in job placements, career guidance etc. I, with help from Prof. Srinivasan (Chemistry dept.) initiated an efforts, but didn't follow through after that.

I hope you may consider my request.

Cheers!