Saturday, September 06, 2008

ECE had a gala valediction of the year long Embedded Design Contest conducted with Frontline, an Indo-Japanese Microcontroller company. There were students from far flung colleges and Mr.Kirowasaki, the Japanese CEO of the company was very happy with the enthusiastic participation from the colleges. Mr.Elwin Chandra Moni, AD, DOTE was also there. The department of ECE keeps involving students in several such projects.

By the way, Shri.Vijay Sharma, CEO, JSW, Salem distributed the JSW-GCE Scholarships to 6 meritorious students at SFAME at the annual inaugural function. As usual, it was a pleasure to listen to Shri Vijay Sharma...he narrated how he had started very humbly in life with the help of a scholarship at one point during his studies. He exhorted students to realise that when they earn in lakhs, they must remember that somewhere students might need financial support and at that time, they must extend a helping hand. It was leading by example...

And ah, the high point of this week for me has been the visit by one of our alumnae. The tall, lanky, stubble cheeked, unkempt and hollow-cheeked youngster who had seemed anxious, worried and undecided had gone. There he was - confident, cheerful and truly humbled by the experiences he had had at college.

"I am glad college taught me a few precious lessons...some very bitter ones. I loved a friend and lost her friendship, because I couldn't accept the fact that I had insulted friendship by imagining that I loved the girl. I was not a very sociable person then...I wanted friends to accept me as I was... and I learnt that one has to also accept the others as they are. I learnt that by judging my friends, I had lost them. The job has given me confidence that I can do something in life, as I was selected at a training session to become a Management trainee...I have decided to learn one good thing from someone around me everyday..." and this outpouring of emotions and pent-up thoughts came like a torrent. I could only gape in open-mouthed awe at this immense transformation...what is life at college not possible of?

No comments: